One thing I am always looking for is healthy salads that I can make ahead on Sunday/Monday morning and have ready for lunches for the week. One website that I frequent for recipe searches is Vegetarian Times often times I find ideas for recipes and tweek them just a bit to adjust to my liking. This is a great one for on-the-go lunch.
Sweet Potato, Avocado, Apple Salad
2 yams (not sweet potatoes but used interchangeably in recipes for some reason, yams are dark and orange, sweet potatoes are lighter in color and resemble more of a potato) peeled and cut into 1in cubes
1 1/2 c. frozen corn
1/4 cup hulled pumpkin seeds/pepitas
2 red apples diced
1/2 red onion finely chopped
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1/3 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
1 TBS olive oil
Sea salt and pepper to taste
1. Cover yams with water in large saucepan and bring to boil for 3 minutes, add corn and cook until yams are tender, drain, and rinse under cold water.
2. Toast pumpkin seeds in dry skillet, med-high heat, careful not to burn, cool, set aside.
3. Combine apple, onion, cilantro, yam, and corn in large bowl.
4. Mix lime juice, olive oil and salt and pepper in small bowl, toss salad with dressing once combined, portion into serving size dishes and refrigerate.
5. Add 1/2 diced avocado and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds, before serving (or in the morning of if you are taking your lunch with you).