Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Day 126 "I don't know what to do"

Day 126
September 23
7.5 miles
PCT mile 2476 Hiker Haven via Steven's Pass

My determination and frustration from yesterday's slow day had me up early, packing up camp, and hiking by 7am. I even sacrificed my morning coffee to get an early start. I had 7.5 miles to Steven's Pass, where I was picking up a resupply package. I figured get there by 10am, take a several hour break to rest, get some coffee, get my package to repack and reorganize for the next 104 miles, then get back on the trail for another 10 miles or so, by late afternoon.

I got to Steven's Pass right at 10, which was perfect. It turned out the ski lodge didn't open until 10am anyways, so had I done more miles yesterday it wouldn't have mattered much, as I couldn't have gotten my package before they opened.

Then I looked at the weather and got caught up in some hiker drama. It was going to start raining this afternoon with a 100% chance of rain all day tomorrow. Everyone that I was hiking with and around was going into town from Steven's Pass to Hiker Haven in Baring, WA. Hiker Haven is the trail angels' home of Jerry and Andrea Dinsmore, a well known stop for thru-hikers. This is the last hosted spot for hikers to stay before the last 184 miles to Canada. 

To back track a little, my brother, Adam, is getting married October 11th in Wisconsin. My goal/deadline to finish the trail was no later than October 4th. That gives me one week to get to the wedding from Canada. Once I get to the border, I have an additional 8 miles to hike into Manning Park, British Columbia. From Manning Park I need to take a bus to Vancouver, and from Vancouver I will take a second bus to the Seattle Airport where I will fly standby to my parents' home in Minnesota. I still need to get fitted for the dress, as I am a bridesmaid in the wedding. Lucky for me, my mother will be doing the alterations for me last minute.

So back to the drama...I got caught up in the weather forecast, fearing the worst, starting this next section (which is known for its difficult terrian) wet, cold, and tired. I didn't know what to do, I didn't feel like I had the luxury of time to go to the Dinsmore's as the other hikers were doing, I was on the verge of tears. So what do I do? Call Mom in tears, "I don't know what to do" I said, trying to fight back tears, explaining my current situation to her. She quickly assured me not to worry, "So take tomorrow off, it's OK. You are going to finish and you will get to the wedding. So what if you finish a day or two later than you planned. I may be altering your dress in the car on the way to the wedding, but we'll figure it all out." We both agreed a day of rest may help me finish stronger, then trying to push on today through the rain and fatigue. I took a deep breath and took her advice, accepting the fact that I deserve and need to take the day off tomorrow. I am not going to feel guilty about it or wish I was out there pushing on through the rain.

Acceptance is a wonderful thing and the weight was lifted, happy to enjoy some R&R with my fellow hikers, before our last push to Canada. My body truly needs the rest too, besides feeling overall fatigue my ankles and feet are pretty beat up from the last section of difficult rocky terrain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.